It turns out that 2.0.2 can be jailbroken using the new quickpwn tool. Here is a guide of how to do it (not my guide).
“(This tutorial is for the old iPhone 1G only, A similar process may work for 3G)
Hi Guys, I’m very sure this will work. I tried twice.
1. Start downloading the official 2.0.1 firmware for iPhone 1G, (if you already have a copy, you can skip), from
2. Put your phone to DFU mode, restore to the latest 2.0.2
3. Copy the 2.0.1 firmware you downloaded above to the Pwnie tool folder
4. Run the iPhone_2G.bat ( I haven’t tried the windows version that’s just released, should be the similar )
5. Voila, after everything is finished, you will have an unlocked and jailbroken 2.0.2 iPhone.
My theory is that, since the Pwnie tool doesn’t re-write the entire firmware, it only unlocks and jailbreaks, therefore you can start with a clean 2.0.2 firmware, and Pwnie just cracks it.
This was posted by a user reply on the Dev Team’s blog.
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SCREW UP YOUR KERNEL BY PATCHING IT WITH AN OLDER PATCH. TRY IT IF YOU WANT, DON’T TRY IT IF YOU DON’T WANT.
It has works for some people but if something goes wrong, I am in now way responsible for that.