EDIT: AN APP CALLED M-BOXMAIL HAS BEEN RELEASED ON THE APPSTORE WHICH ALLOWS YOU TO SEND AND RECIEVE EMAILS USING YOUR HOTMAIL ADRESS ON YOUR IPHONE AND IPOD TOUCH! To read more CLICK ME
A new application called Freepops has been releases which allows you to use your hotmail email on the email app.
Gonzo 89 from iPod Touch Fans said,
“RIGHT GUYS, HAVING WORKED QUITE A LONG WAY THROUGH THE NIGHT IT SEEMS SO OBVIOUS NOW. SIMPLY, WHEN YOU REBOOT YOUR IPHONE/IPOD YOU ARE LOGGED OUT OF #ROOT, MEANING THE SERVER CANT BE ACCESSED. THIS MEANS THAT EACH TIME YOU WANT TO CHECK YOUR MAIL, YOU WILL HAVE TO ACCESS ROOT IN TERMINAL, AND THEN TYPE IN THE FREEPOPS -P 110 & COMMAND.
REALLY SORRY ABOUT THE DELAY IN THIS, BUT AS THIS ISNT MY APP AND THERE IS NO SUPPORT AS YET I HAD TO TEST A LOT OF STUFF OUT. THE UPCOMING COPY AND PASTE APP SHOULD ALLOW YOU SAVE THE COMMAND AND HOPEFULLY RUN IT FROM THE SPRINGBOARD.
UP UNTIL THEN, USE THIS GUIDE TO SETUP. THEN EACH TIME YOU REBOOT, DO STAGES 1-7. I’M SURE THE AUTHOR WILL BRING OUT A FIX FOR THIS SOON.
THIS PROCESS REQUIRES JAILBROKEN FIRWARES 2.0, 2.0.1, or 2.0.2
You’ll find Freepop’s in the Big Boss repo, on Cydia.
Now, for this procedure you’ll need Mobile Terminal, Curl, and XML Parser Toolkit (expat). They are all on Cydia, just use the search function.
1. After installation of all Cydia apps, REBOOT is essential.
2. Go to Terminal, and type in –
ssh localhost -l root (Dont confuse the -l with -1. Its a lower case L. Press return to initiate the command.)
3. When prompted, type ‘yes’ (this may or may not come up, it depends)
4. When asked for password, type alpine
5. Now you should be on #root
6. Now type –
freepopsd -p 110 &
If you recieve no error, you have done it correctly. There should be a number (e.g
(1) 90), and no mention of any problems.
7. Now, exit Terminal.
8. Go to Mail.app if you dont have an email already installed. If you do, go to Setting>Mails, Contacts, Calendars>Add Account
9. Go to Other
10. Type in your details from your hotmail account, including your proper email and password
11. You will get an error about POP3. Ignore, and go down to ‘Incoming Mail Server’. ENSURE THAT POP3 IS HIGHLIGTED AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE.
12. In host name, delete what is there, and type in ‘localhost’
13. Click save
14. Click ‘yes’ on the screen which appears
15. Voila, it will begin to download your emails.
15. Go to you Settings>Mail, Calendars> Adjust the ‘Show’ to ‘200 recent messages’, otherwise some messages might not be transferred.
16. This is the only downside to this system so far – a reboot of the device leaves you logged out of root. To download emails at any time, go into Terminal and repeat the first 7 steps in the guide. It only takes 20 seconds or so, but it is annoying. I’m sure a fix is in the works.
Credits to this fantastic Utility to oNaiPs”
Works perfectly for me.
Via iPod Touch Fans